Sunday, July 16, 2006

Weary

I'm not cynical just hopeless
I'm not tired just depressed
I'm not waiting here for answers
I don't have no questions left

Darren McDonald - I'm Not Cynical (Live)

There's a hole in the world. Feels like we should have known.
Spike (Joss Whedon - "A Hole In The World." Angel. Fox. 2/25/2004).

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there
Beauty and the truth, I could breathe like air
Then I finally found the signposts in a strange land

Sam Phillips - "Signposts" (Martinis & Bikinis)


I would not take away the very words by which you live
But I would show you things unseen and the silences instead
Just beneath the water, in the space between the ribs,
I don't want to talk, I just want to listen


Some kind of delicious music runs like light through the blood...
And anyway, I don't want to talk, I just want to listen

michelle [bloom] - "Listen [the Silences]" (Fever and Unremembered Wings)

"At home, I grew up to the sound of my mom vomiting from the pain of one physical ailment or another. At church, I grew up to the sound of "This is the Day the Lord Has Made." I've always felt a bit of a disconnect."
Darren McDonald. Emerging Church Blog Entry. 2/3/2006.

The church nearly killed me. God saved my life.

As a teenager, I was dangerously depressed and suicidal. In response, my youth group, feeling that I was too depressing for a Christian community, coined the phrase "pleasantly positive, Darren." So...Do I trust Christians to speak God's Word to me, let alone anyone else? Not exactly. I wish that relying on the community and the Spirit was enough to convince me that God's love can shine through our conversations...but too often I feel like God has to break through past the church to bring God's love.

But I've known that love. Growing up legally blind, I don't believe I would have survived the various traumas of my childhood apart from God. So, how does one share this story without pounding down those around him or her? How does a community allow God's Word to overcome, heal, and save us? Perhaps there is wisdom in the silence.

1 Comments:

Blogger spirit2go team said...

thanks for posting this sort of honesty Darren.

steve taylor

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home